Dr. Kim walks us through the history of cord clamping and examines the evidence behind delayed vs. immediate clamping.
ACOG, Committee Opinion. Delayed Umbilical Cord Clamping After Birth. (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 2017).
- Downey, C., and Bewley, S. Third Stage Practices and the Neonate. Fetal and MAternal Medicine Review 20, 229-246 (2009).
- Downey, C., Bewley, S. HIstorical Perspectives on umbilical cord clamping and neonatal transition. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 105, 325-329 (2012).
- Drife, J. The start of life: a history of obstetrics. Postgrad Medicine 78, 311-315 (2002).
- Loudon, I. General practitioners and obstetrics: a brief history. JR Soc Med 101 (2008).
- McDonald, S., Middletone, P, Dowswell, T, Morris PS. Effect of timing of umbilical cord clamping of term infants on maternal and neonatal outcomes (Review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 1-93 (2013).
- Mercer, J., Vohr, BR, McGrath, MM, PAdbury, JF, WAllach, M, Oh, W. Delayed Cord Clamping in Very Preterm Infants Reduces the Incidence of Intraventricular Hemorrhage and Late-Onset Sepsis: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Pediatrics 117, 1235-1242 (2006).
- Mercer, J., Vohr, BR, Erickson-Owens, DA, Padbury, JF and Oh, W. Seven-month developmental outcomes of very low birth weight infants enrolled in a randomized controlled trial of delayed versus immediate cord clamping. Journal of Perinatology 30, 11-16 (2010).
- Mercer, J., Erickson-Owens, DA, Collins, J, Barcelos, MO, Parker, AB, Padbury, JF. Effects of Delayed cord clamping on residual placental blood volume, hemoglobin and bilirubin levels in term infants: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Perinatology 37, 260-264 (2017).
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence,. Intrapartum care for healthy women and babies, 2014).
- Paco, C., Florido, J, Garrido, MC, PRados, S, NAvarrete, L. Umbilical cord blood acid-base and gas analysis after early versus delayed cord clamping in neonates at term. Arch Gynecol Obstetric 283, 1011-1014 (2011).
- Rabe, H., Wacker, A, Hulskamp, G, Hornig-Franz, I, Schulze-Everding, A, Harms, E, Cirkel, U, Louwen, F, Witteler, R, Schneider, H. A randomised controoled trial of delayed cord clamping in very low birth weight preterm infants. Eur J Pediatrics 159, 775-777 (2000).
- Rabe, H., Reynolds, G. Diaz-Rossello, J. A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of a Brief Delay in Clamping the Umbilical Cord of Preterm Infants. Neonatology 93, 138-144 (2008).
- Rabe, H., Jewison, A, Alvarez, RF, Crook, D, Stilton, D, Bradley, R, Holden, D. Milking Compared with Delayed Cord Clamping to increase Placental Transfusion in preterm neonates. Obstetrics and Gynecology 117, 205-211 (2011).
- Rabe, H., Diaz-Rossello, JL, Duley, L, Dowswell, T. Effect of timing of umbilical cord clamping and other strategies to influence placental transfusion at preterm birth on maternal and infant outcomes. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 1-84 (2012).
- Rabe, H., Sawyer, A, Amess, P, Ayers, S. Neurodevelopmental outcomes at 2 and 3.5 years for very preterm babies enrolled in a randomzied trial of milking the umbilical cord versus delayed cord clamping. Neonatology 109, 113-119 (2016).
- Speer, H. Obstetrics and Gynecology: A history and iconography. New England Journal of Medicine 352, 844-845 (2005).
- World Health Organization. WHO recommendations on Postnatal care of the mother and newborn. (2013)