Dr. Jillian Kurtz discussed ovulation induction.
Join me as we finish our discussion on anueplody screening. In this episode we discuss the risks of amniocentisis and chorionic villus sampling, cell-free DNA, and different screening strategies.
Comparing Different Strategies
Join us for a discussion on sexism in medicine, STD screening for women diagnosed with PID, and the removal of the Essure device from the market.
I am joined by minimally invasive gynecologic surgeons Dr. Blaber and Dr. Lian to discuss a paper from the May issue of AJOG.
Uccella S, Malzoni M, Cromi A, et al. Laparoscopic vs transvaginal cuff closure after total laparoscopic hysterectomy: a randomized trial by the Italian Society of Gynecologic Endoscopy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2018;218:500.e1-13.
In this episode Dr. Sara Kim and Dr. Jillian Kurtz join me to discuss some basic research papers about pregnancy dating and PCOS.
In this episode we trace the history of aneuploidy screening from the early days of amniocentesis to the modern day serum screening.
1987 Cuckle Paper:
Other references in no particular order:
In this episode Dr. Ballas and I discuss the declining US birth rate and paretnal leave for ob/gyn residents.
In this episode Dr. Jillian Kurtz walks us through the methods and rationale behind fertility preservation for patients with cancer or undergoing transgender procedures.
In this episode I am joined by Dr. Ballas and Dr. Kim to discuss the paper "Pregnancy Exercise and Nutrition With Smartphone Application Support" from the May edition of Obstetrics & Gynecology.
In this episdoe we discuss the new postpartum guidelines from ACOG, newborn microbiome seeding, and the gentle cesarean.
In this episode we discuss the mode of delivery in twin gestation
- Association Between Planned Cesarean Delivery and Neonatal Mortality and Morbidity in Twin Pregnancies
- How singleton breech babies at term are born in France: a survey of data from the AUDIPOG network
- Twin Birth Study: 2-year neurodevelopmental follow-up of the randomized trial of planned cesarean or planned vaginal delivery for twin pregnancy
In this episode we finish up PCOS by discussing the management and long-term consequences.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: etiology, pathogenesis and diagnosis
- Combined oral contraceptives in the treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome
- Ovarian Suppression in Normal-Weight and Obese Women During Oral Contraceptive Use: A Randomized Controlled Trial
- Ovulation incidence with oral contraceptives: a literature review
- Shorter pill-free interval in combined oral contraceptives decreases follicular development
- Comparison of efficacy of metformin and oral contraceptive combination of ethinyl estradiol and drospirenone in polycystic ovary syndrome
- Evidence-Based and Potential Benefits of Metformin in the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: A Comprehensive Review
- Metformin, oral contraceptives or both to manage oligo-amenorrhea in adolescents with polycystic ovary syndrome? A clinical review
- Additive Effects of Insulin-Sensitizing and Anti-Androgen Treatment in Young, Nonobese Women with Hyperinsulinism, Hyperandrogenism, Dyslipidemia, and Anovulation
- Metformin and gonadotropins for ovulation induction in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome: a systematic review with meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
- Aromatase inhibitors for subfertile women with polycystic ovary syndrome: summary of a Cochrane review
- Epidemiology, diagnosis and management of hirsutism: a consensus statement by the Androgen Excess and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Society
- Impaired glucose tolerance, type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome in polycystic ovary syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis
- Lifestyle Modification Programs in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
- The Impact of Bariatric Surgery on Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
- Assessment of Cardiovascular Risk and Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease in Women with the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: A Consensus Statement by the Androgen Excess and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (AE-PCOS) Society
- Body Composition Is Improved During 12 Months' Treatment With Metformin Alone or Combined With Oral Contraceptives Compared With Treatment With Oral Contraceptives in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Influences of weight, body fat patterning and nutrition on the management of PCOS
In this Months Checkup Drs. Ballas and Kim join me to discuss the link (or non-link) between acetaminophen use during pregnancy and ADHD, the new NIH funded PregSource initiative, and how we architecture affects how we provide care.
In this episode Dr. Øystein Bergøy discusses the evidence behind the risks of antenatal corticosteroids for women at risk for preterm delivery.
- ACOG guidelines on fetal maturation
- NICE guidelines on risk of premature labour
- Norwegian guidelines on risk of premature labour
- 2015 cochrane analysis of repeat steroids
- Study were microsimulation was used to make a ratio of benefits vs harms of repeat steroids according to gestational age at birth
- Uptodate.com article on antenatal steroids
- study showing increased rds 1 to 24 hrs after booster dose
- Review from Nature in 2001 mentioning several animall studies that show negative effects of excess corticosteroids in utero
- Animal study from Kidney Int from 2000 showing increased risk of glucose intolerance with exogenous corticosteroid exposure in utero
- Study in baboons from Nature in 2012 showing impaired myelination after exposure to repeat antenatal steroids
- 3 studies that have shown impaired stress response inneonates exposed to antenatal steroids
- Study showing impaired HPA function in children 6-11 years of age exposed to antenatal steroids
- Study showing signs of glucose intolerance in participant who received antenatal steroids compared to placebo
- Study showing increased aortic stiffness in those exposed to antenatal steroids
- crowther et al mid childhood neurocgognitive development
- meta analysis from 2016 in BMJ examining benefits and harms of antenatal steroids between 34 and 36 weeks gestation
In this episode Dr. Øystein Bergøy discusses the evidence behind antenatal corticosteroids for women at risk for preterm delivery.
Uptodate articles on RDS
In this episode Dr. Kim joins me to discuss an article about postplacental IUD placement from the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Please consider giving to www.breac225.org to help support the victims of Hurricane Harvey.
In this episode we discuss the link between baby powder and ovarian cancer, the effect of breastfeeding on endometriosis, and the long term emotional effect of mode of delivery.